Family reunification is the process by which an estranged parent is reintroduced into the family through mediated conversations and structured activities. It is done collaboratively by a trained mediator. The goal is to unite parents and children through a step by step process involving court agents and other professionals in creating positive family interactions.
The role of Break Through Learning Center is to provide a safe, structured environment with trained facilitators. The Center specializes in parents reuniting with their children after an extended amount of time as part of a temporary or permanent parenting plan.
10-Steps to Reunification
- Collect a retainer fee to begin contacting and scheduling parent consultations.
- Begin initial consultations with parents.
- Document review, background information and collateral comments.
- Agree with both parents on goals for the reunification process and design a temporary timeline.
- Implement the first step of the plan which may mean meeting separately with the child/ren and/or with a parent/s.
- Implement the plan adding mediated, negotiated and free conversations with supervised activities between child/ren and parent.
- Interview the parent to evaluate progress and adjust if needed for future visits.
- Continue sessions followed by feedback and evaluations.
- Agreeing on an end date goal when all steps of the plan are completed and no recommendation for further sessions are made.
- Provide notes and updates to family members, court officials and other professionals with final closing statements.
Fees and Guarantees
Retainer to begin initial consultations is $5,000 for a minimum of 10 sessions; includes initial consultation with each parent/ and remaining sessions with parent/child for a total of 10. Retainer includes documents review, collateral interviews, emails and other communications for up to 3 months. However, fees may be added if more sessions or follow up sessions are needed. Families will receive advanced notice of any change in the fee agreement and are entitled to return fees if there are less than 10 sessions of $125 per session.
Family Reunification Retainer
Family Reunification (Per Hour)
Last revised August 2018